By Andrew Topping, Local Democracy Journalist
Households in Mansfield threw nearly 1,500 tonnes more rubbish into their bins last year than the year before, new figures show.
Council papers revealed the exact total of kerbside rubbish collected in the district last year, with 41,524.69 tonnes of rubbish disposed of in household, recycling and garden bin collections.
The figure represents an increase of 1,493.32 tonnes from the 2020/21 financial year, when residents removed 40,039.37 tonnes of rubbish from their homes in the three separate bin rounds.
Residual household waste collections, according to the documents, were when municipal trucks collected the most waste, with just under 29,000 tonnes (28,991.39) collected in 2021/22.
This was up from the 27,568.35 tonnes collected the previous year.
For recycling collections, documents confirm that there has been a year-over-year decrease in the amount of waste disposed of by residents.
The 2021/22 financial year saw garbage collectors receive 6,752.94 tonnes of recycled waste, compared to 6,930.72 tonnes in 2020/21 at the height of the pandemic.
And the documents also confirm that the council’s recycling contamination figure – the amount of waste incorrectly recycled – was 15.7% of all items.
This, according to the authority, is below the 5% of items targeted, with glass continuing to appear in recycling waste collections.
It comes despite the authority running a glass recycling service, which collected 2,328 tonnes last year.
This figure includes glass collected from supermarket recycling points as well as glass bin collections, which are now in their eighth cycle since the program launched last year.
However, for the authority’s garden waste collection service – the price of which was recently reduced from £31 to £26 – there has again been an increase in the amount of waste collected by the authority.
For the 2021/22 financial year, the municipality saw 5,797.36 tonnes of garden waste collected by its dumpsters. This figure was up from 5,550.30 tonnes the previous year.
The authority indicates that it currently has 19,000 customers for the garden waste service.
And the authority says its number of missed bin collections is below the 0.1% target, although it admits some collections have been missed due to staff absences and obstructing vehicles.
Ryan Oliff, the council’s waste and recycling manager, said in a report: ‘A recent review of the data has highlighted some issues with some teams accounting for a higher number of missed bins.
“These were usually attributed to long-term absences of the regular crew and various agency staff performing this role.
“We have created a postcard for crews to notify vehicle owners if they have blocked the garbage vehicle from accessing a street.
“There is always pressure from the communications team to encourage people to sign up for bin reminders.”
He added that two new drivers have been appointed to the waste fleet, filling positions that have been vacant for four months.
Two other vacancies are being advertised internally for the Chargers as the authority prepares to further expand its team to cope with the growing number of homes in the neighborhood.
This would see a new conductor and two more chargers, which Mr Oliff said would ‘ensure the resilience of the additional 2,600 properties to be built over the next four years’.
The figures and Mr Oliff’s report will be reviewed by the board’s oversight and oversight committee on Tuesday, June 14.
(Visited 1 time, 1 visits today)