Greg Norman reiterated on Monday that Tiger Woods turned down a staggering offer to join LIV Golf.
Appearing on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” the LIV CEO was asked about a $700-800 million deal to lure the 15-time major champion away from the PGA Tour.
“The number is out, yes,” Norman replied.. “Tiger is a needle mover. So of course you have to look at the best of the best. They initially approached Tiger before I became CEO, so yeah that number is somewhere in that neighborhood.”
To be clear, Norman didn’t say anything new in this answer. In June, he told the Washington Post that Tiger had turned down a “surprisingly huge” amount in the “nine figures.” Yet he focuses on a number that many have found hard to believe.
Then again, it makes sense that Woods, still arguably the most famous athlete in the world, gets by far the biggest offer in the new league, even if his golf is limited these days. In recent months, LIV is said to have distributed $200 million to Phil. Mickelson and over $100 million to Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau.
Throughout this rotational period, however, Woods has remained consistent in his stance against the Saudi-backed league. To the point where DeChambeau recently said Woods hasn’t spoken to him since leaving the PGA Tour.
“The players who chose to go to LIV and play there, I disagree,” Woods said at The Open Championship last month. “I think what they’ve done is they’ve turned their backs on what got them into this position.”
In contrast, Tiger turned his back on LIV. Despite the offer of almost a billion dollars.